Our Program for Hispanic Students and Their Families provides a platform for increasing financial literacy in Hispanic communities. Using content from the Council for Economic Education’s award-winning Financial Fitness for Life series, the program involves both professional development for teachers and training and information in Spanish for parents so that they can work with their children. By connecting directly with the parents, we extend learning to the entire family. We also work to engage community leaders and volunteers to help with these efforts so that they provide a cultural perspective to financial decision-making.
The program is:
- Inclusive. It engages not just teachers but also includes parents and local leaders who come together to strengthen the financial literacy of their community.
- Partner-friendly. It provides the opportunity to work with both local, community-based organizations and national organizations in a variety of ways to expand the reach of the program.
- Mission-oriented. It is tailored to reach a high-need population that is underserved both in terms of education and access to financial services.
- Flexible. It allows for local adaptations in different types of Hispanic communities across the country.
To date, more than 1,000 K-12 teachers and nearly 3,000 parents have participated in this program in nine states, and the results have been overwhelmingly positive. 95% of teachers have stated they were “highly satisfied” with the workshop content, and learning assessments show marked gains in student achievement. In California nearly 1,000 students participated in knowledge assessments, and student scores doubled on average from pre-test to post-test. 100% of parents surveyed said they were very or extremely likely to do the following as a result of participating in the workshop:
- Use material provided to discuss financial concepts with children at home
- Set up a bank account in which to save money
- Develop and keep a family budget
In the words of one parent participant, “Es muy importante, porque tomando conceincia de como aprender ahorrar para el mañana.” (This is very important, because we are making a conscious effort to learn how to save for tomorrow.)
Interested in this program? Please contact us, and we’ll connect you with an affiliate in your area.